If you’re planning to remodel your home in El Segundo, you’ll probably want to interview several remodelers. Reputable builders know that this is standard procedure, so don’t feel guilty about it. After all, you’re going to be spending a lot of time (and some significant money) with this builder, so it’s important that you feel comfortable with your decision.
What is really important, however, is not how many remodelers you interview, but what you ask them. So how should you interview a builder in order to get the information that will help you decide if he or she is the right one? What should you ask?
A lot of people aren’t sure where to start – after all, they haven’t made a career out of interviewing remodelers! We’ve been interviewed many, many times. We know what people want to know. And we also know some of the questions people should ask – even if they don’t think of them. Here are some important questions you should ask any remodeler you’re considering. This isn’t an all-inclusive list, but it will go a long way toward providing you with the information you need to make a good decision.
- How many projects like ours have you completed?
- What makes you different from other builders in the Los Angeles area?
- How long have you been building?
- Do you supervise the project yourself or have a site supervisor?
- How often will you come to the job?
- What work does your crew do and what do you subcontract?
- How is your fee structure set up?
- Are there areas where you are stronger than others? What are they?
- How do your fees compare to other builder’s fees?
- What type of warranty do you provide?
- What was your worst building experience, and what did you learn from it?
- How many other projects will you have going on at the same time as ours?
- How many projects do you do in a year?
- How do you handle requests for changes?
- Can you show me a sample contract that you use with subcontractors?
- Can you provide us with a bank reference?
- Can you provide us with a copy of your insurance certificate?
- Will you provide us with a list of customer references?
- Why should I hire you?
What other questions would you ask a potential remodeler?